Friday 26 August 2011

Why Should Boys Have All The Fun?

Why Should Boys Have All The Fun?

        It was the hectic day at the college. After completion of practical I was about to leave for home. The weather suddenly changed. The clouds came from nowhere. It all became dark and noisy. The nature seems to have all the new plans of celebrations. The brilliant firework was on in the sky. It was 5.00 pm, it was as dark as 7.00 pm, with all the bursting crackers the downpour started. The ever eluding, unreasonably deceptive monsoon came with a bang. It was raining profusely when I came out of my cabin cursing for wrong choice of the timing of rain. It was time to go home but was stuck at the college. Given the indefinite delay going home, I may have to deal with, I was very upset. But as I came out and saw the celebrations of nature, the welcome accorded to rain by the plants, trees and even grass around made me realize how selfish I was. For the whole day everybody including flora and fauna were reeling under severe heat. Everything was wrong that day, extremely hot, humid, worst not even a trace of a pleasant wind speaking gently in ear. I realized that only I was upset, the world around was so enjoying. Before I realized anything I got absorbed in the grandeur, finding it difficult to arrest the temptation to go out, entre in the shower.
       It lasted for close to half an hour, and then it started to wane. It hasn’t stopped completely but still most of the students started to leave. After around fifteen minutes the crowd moving out lost the momentum. I just packed up to move on my way home expecting the rain to stop; I saw a group of girls coming out from the department on way to two wheeler parking area. The signs of the heavy downpour were everywhere. Water sliding down the leaves, overflowing water outlets, water holding its position on many a places on road. The girls were moving joking, laughing, were in joyous mood. In just a flash one jumped in the stagnated water splashing it around especially on her friends. One of the friends responded with greater reflexes. It then became free for all, jumping, shouting, laughing, enjoying  the splashing around  and a thin, pleasant drizzle from heaven, just enough to get wet, girls forgot the world and so was I, watching them.
   They were lost in their own world, far away from harsh realities of the world that never ever was fairer to them for ages. They were supposed to follow all the rules, all the customs, share all the responsibilities, had to sacrifice for the whole family, had to face the blame and blemish for the misdeeds of others, had to live with the confinement at home and above all denied the humane life by branding  them with the divine  existence. The fairer sex always got away with all the wrongs. Their wrongs were natural aberrations, for girls they forever were deliberate offences. At home and outside they were soft targets.
    Is the world changing? Is new generation of fairer sex better, more accommodative, more sensitive? Do they have deserved open space for fresh air? Can they dream of following their dreams? Are the girls more in tune with time, mature, booming with self confidence, replete with self esteem? May be, the world which was not so safer a place for them is improving at home due to financial independence, outside, it has changed marginally. The education has given them self esteem, recognition, opportunities and above all a place of their own to breathe fresh air. The depiction of the girls’ world in an all girl Marathi movie, couple of years back, shown hidden side of the world, equally funnier, glamorous, naughty, full of energy and dreams not necessarily with a prince which hitherto was a norm. Yes, they definitely have a dream to chase, a career to pursue, have vigour in the eyes to succeed. The rules have not changed for they are not written in book but are in our mindset, girls simply have defied these unreasonable, illogical systems by sheer grit and self belief originated from educational opportunities.
     In engineering colleges at least one can see the difference. The girls are equally naughtier, great hooters, can fight for their fair share, are capable of even displacing boys in just competitions. They definitely have space of their own where they can unleash all the fun. Here their shortcomings, all mistakes, all achievements have no trace of divinity, they all are human.
     “Sir!” peon called me. I came to my senses. The girls have had all the fun, reached to parking.  I took my bike, left for home. The images splashing water were following me vividly.  I realized they were zooming out. It was dark but I could now see images of my two sweet little daughters splashing water around.

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant article sir,I remembered my college days and my all girls group.Girls scooter parking stand where we girls played holi once.
    Yes I think Indian society is now changing.Families have now started supporting girls a lot.Still I think a couple of section needs to be aware about the importance of a girl being financially independent.
    But the fact remains compared to 80's and 90's the situation has changed a lot and it will continue improving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PRANAY KHOBRAGADE31 August 2011 at 09:21

    It seems gals are equally competant....but we should get rid of some contemporary views of our elders!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely one Sir..!! These are the moments I believe each girl would love to have in their treasure box forever. When considered about present world its fair enough,as today every girl has the right to decide for what they want which we believe is the key for happiness.

    ReplyDelete